Monday, February 08, 2010
Benjamin Ellis Hamrick Makes His Debut!
Surprise! Benjamin Ellis is already here...16 days early! His is a story that we will be able to tell for years to come. John had to go out of town for work on Sunday afternoon (Feb. 7). We had an induction scheduled for February 16, so even though we knew he was cutting it close, we didn't really think anything would happen before he got home in a couple of days. Little did we know, but baby Ben had different plans...
This is me at the hospital on Monday morning. My water broke at 6:30 am while I was at home by myself with the girls. I calmly made all the appropriate phone calls and then sat in the bathroom trying not to freak out and scare the girls. I told them Mommy would be having a baby today and that Aunt Mandy was coming over to help. They were a little bit confused, but took it all in stride. When I got to the hospital, I was only 2cm dilated, but I was there to stay since my water broke. In the meantime, John was frantically trying to find a flight home, but due to the impending snow storm, he was having a difficult time. Mimi and Papa joined us at the hospital, and so the waiting game begins...
Benjamin Ellis arrived at 6:30 pm February 8, weighing in at 6lbs, 13 oz. He is a tiny little fellow, especially considering that his big sisters were both over 8 pounds! The entire experience was actually wonderful. Mandy and I had a relaxing day hanging out at the hospital, watching girly daytime television, and having nice adult conversation (something we don't normally get to have with all our children running around!) I pushed for 10 minutes, and Ben joined us in the world. I know you must be wondering about John...he was able to get on a flight that afternoon and made it to the hospital...25 minutes after Ben was born! I was sad that he didn't make it, but I know he tried his best. We really had no idea that this would happen. I can, however, remind him of this for the rest of his life!
Here is the proud Daddy, still in his suit and overcoat, saying hello to his son for the 1st time. What a proud moment!
The big sisters were able to come and visit shortly after Benjamin was born. Riley immediately wanted to hold him and ask all kinds of questions. Molly was a bit hesitant that night, but was doing better the next day. They both love him, and are so sweet. They are already my big helpers.
Last, but definitely not least, my best friend in the whole world. Mandy dropped everything that morning when I called at 6:30. She found sitters for her children and left her sick husband at home. She was at the hospital with me for the entire labor and birth. There is nothing I could ever do to thank her enough. She is a special person and I am truly thankful for her. Also...she is a great photographer. I have her to thank for all the wonderful pictures taken of Benjamin's birth. So...that's the story. We are all at home now and trying to adjust to having 3 children. It is wonderful. We can't wait for everyone to meet our Baby Ben!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Congratulations on baby Benjamin! I can't wait to meet him.
Congratulations!!! He's adorable! -Audra
Thank you, it was an honor to be able to experience all of this with you. I can't wait to finally hold him when we can all get well again!!
what a blessing Ellen! I love that Mandy was there for you and your growing family. Congrats on baby Ben!
Ellen he is so precious! Congratulation on your new little bundle of joy!!
Ellen, what an amazing birth story, it brought tears to my eyes! Benjamin is ADORABLE, are are Molly and Riley. What a beautiful family!
Congratulations!
Nicole
Post a Comment